Classical pianist likes to jazz things up

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Janelle Gelfand interviews Jean-Yves Thibaudet in today's paper (4/28/05):

"French pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet is a rare classical musician who enjoys crossing over into jazz.

"Thibaudet performs George Gershwin's jazzy Concerto in F with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra this weekend. The multifaceted musician, who is also known for his CDs with opera stars Renee Fleming and Cecilia Bartoli, just finished taping the movie score to Pride and Prejudice starring Keira Knightly, out this fall.

"He spoke about Gershwin, jazz and more from his Los Angeles home.

Janelle Gelfand: When did you discover Gershwin?

Jean-Yves Thibaudet: I remember playing Rhapsody in Blue and the Concerto at about age 15, at a concert in the South of France. In those days, I didn't know anything about jazz. But when I started listening to a lot of jazz, it became part of my life, and I think my performance of Gershwin changed completely.

JG: How has jazz influenced your playing?

JYT: . There's something about the rhythm, the tempi, and a completely laid-back feeling. Sometimes Gershwin gets a little bit dirty in the rhythms. You need to listen to jazz for that.

JG: Is jazz as important as classical music, to you?

JYT: Yes. One of the reasons I've done (recording) projects of Bill Evans and Duke Ellington (on Decca) was ... those guys are great composers. Guys like Ellington are giants just as much as Ravel. And Gershwin is a genius. .

JG: What other jazz pianists do you admire?

JYT: Art Tatum, Fats Waller, and then Oscar Peterson, from that great era. Some modern ones are Brad Mehldau, Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea. The pianist that I really adore is [Cincinnati native] Fred Hersch. Whenever he plays in Paris or New York, I go there, because he's such an inspiration.

JG: Another side of you is your love of playing with opera singers. What's rewarding about that?

JYT: Everything! Playing for singers is what gives me the most pleasure. It's the intimate, inside pleasure, the intensity of the human voice.

JG: What's it like to work with someone like Renee Fleming or Cecilia Bartoli?

JYT: It's a lesson every day. When I am in a concert, I think how privileged can you be sitting on the stage with this person, making music?

JG: You've become known for your red socks. How did that start?

JYT: About 15 years ago, I was in Charleston, South Carolina at the Spoleto Festival, and I was late as usual for the concert, and I couldn't find a pair of black socks. I picked up this pair of red socks and went onstage. Then it started - at every concert, I would wear the red socks.

JG: Where did you buy them?

JYT: The only place where I could find the most beautiful ones - and it's been in the news lately with the pope - is Gamarelli, the fabulous shop in the Vatican where they sell clothes for the cardinals. I decided it (the red socks) had to finish. At the turn of the century in a big gala concert with Michael Tilson Thomas, was the last time.


IF YOU GO:

What: The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Paavo Järvi, conductor; Jean-Yves Thibaudet, pianist
When: 7:30 p.m. today; 11 a.m. Friday; 8 p.m. Saturday
Where: Music Hall, 1241 Elm St., Over-the-Rhine
Free: Thursday night dinner buffet in Ballroom from 6:15 p.m.
Tickets: $17.50-$73; $10 students. (513) 381-3300 or www.cincinnatisymphony.org

Comments

Popular Posts