Does an orchestra play to the music or the style in which the conductor directs them?

An Anonymous listener posted this comment the other day on Janelle Gelfand's blog, regarding last weekend's Cincinnati Symphony concert. I think it's one which a lot of fans have wondered about.
At 1/24/2006 07:04:26 PM, Anonymous said...

I, too, very much enjoyed Saturday's concert, and the CSO's obvious enthusiasm prompts this question: does the CSO, or any symphony, play to the music or the style in which the conductor directs them?

I ask because in my 20+ years of attending CSO concerts, I don't think the orchestra has sounded any better -- or more engaged -- than it does under Jarvi's baton.

It's hard to describe the quality I hear. Perhaps fullness, Or intensity. Or maye it is roundness or completeness. Whatever the term, the CSO clearly takes it to the next level with Paavo in charge.

Comments

Popular Posts