1. Paavo's in town. You know his concert is going to be electric. And, he's recording this program for posterity on Telarc.
2. You'll hear some of the best examples of British music in the orchestral repertory.
3. Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra is not just for children anymore. It's an interesting set of variations on a theme by Purcell (another Englishman) that features various instruments of the orchestra. It's only been performed one other time by the Cincinnati Symphony.
4. Elgar's Enigma Variations is one of the most beautiful works Elgar ever wrote (and almost as familiar as his Pomp and Circumstance -- graduation -- march).
5. Garrick Ohlsson is one of my favorite pianists and he's playing Schumann's Piano Concerto, a great piece.
P.S. Tonight there's free food.
Thursday, January 19, 2006
Five reasons to go to the symphony this weekend
Janelle Gelfand's right on the case for this week's concerts in this entry from her blog!