Friday, May 04, 2007

Cincinnati Symphony gives Jarvi contract

Acron Beacon Journal
Thursday, May 3, 2007


Associated Press

CINCINNATI - The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra has extended music director Paavo Jarvi's contract two years, through the 2010-11 season, and after that it will automatically renew each season by mutual agreement.
The evergreen contract is a first for a Cincinnati Symphony music director in the orchestra's 112-year history. The board of directors approved it in a special meeting Wednesday.
"I am completely over the moon," Jarvi said. "Negotiations were very quick. It's one of those situations where, when something works, you want to make sure there's longevity and continuation."
Jarvi, 44, completes his sixth season with the Cincinnati Symphony this weekend. He took the orchestra on a five-concert tour of California last month, and has led other tours of Europe and Japan.
"He's a very hot property, and the reviews from the West Coast tour brought that home clearly," said board chairman Rick Reynolds.
The contract stipulates that Jarvi conduct 14 weeks of performances. Other terms were not disclosed, but in the orchestra's last publicly reported financial statement in 2005, Jarvi earned $694,000.
Jarvi is the son of Estonian conductor Neeme Jarvi, music director of the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra.

No comments: